- Completed Projects
- Accessory Residential Unit Amendment
Accessory Residential Unit Amendment
Ordinance 1139 allowing Accessory Residential Units in the NC-ToJ, NC-2, S-ToJ, and R-ToJ zones adopted November 21, 2016. Effective November 23, 2016.
The Town of Jackson Planning Department is currently exploring an amendment to the Land Development Regulations to allow Accessory Residential Units - also known as guesthouses, backyard cottages, mother-in-law suites, etc. - in all residential zones in the Town of Jackson. For more details on the amendment, see the April 18 Town Council Workshop Staff Report (PDF).
To elicit public feedback on the amendment, Staff is offering the following engagement opportunities for the public.
Take-Home Mapping Exercise
The Take-Home Mapping Exercise is your opportunity to draw on the map where you want to allow Accessory Residential Units (ARUs).
The Take-Home Mapping Exercise is available for pick-up at Town Hall or at any of the workshops listed below. You can return your completed map to Town Hall or mail it to the following address by June 15:
Planning and Building Department
P.O. Box 1687
Jackson, WY 83001
- May 31, 2016, Senior Center, 5 to 8 p.m.
- June 7, 2016, Town Hall Chambers, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- June 8, 2016, Jackson Elementary, School 5 to 8 p.m.
- June 9, 2016, Teton County Library, 5 to 8 p.m.
The primary objective of the workshops is to engage with residents on the topic of ARUs and to answer the following questions:
- Where should ARUs be allowed, keeping in mind the neighborhood character of an area?
- Should additional criteria - lot with back alley or street, location near START Bus routes, or other - be used to limit which lots can have ARUs?
- How can the Town of Jackson help - or incentivize - homeowners to build ARUs?
This is where you get to act as Director of Planning for the evening and draw out on the map where you think ARUs are appropriate.
Pick a table and join the group discussion.
We have staff on hand at each table to help you.
At the Incentives Station you get to vote using green or red dots on which incentives you like for encouraging ARUs in Jackson and which incentives you don’t like. You’ll also get a chance to add your own ideas about incentives and to vote on others’ incentives ideas.
Some of the incentives we are currently considering include:
- Bonus square footage for ARUs
- Reduced setbacks
- Waivers for Parking
- Waiver or partial waiver of building fees
“Hopes and Concerns” Summary Thoughts Station
The Hopes and Concerns Station is where you can share one hope and one concern on ARUs in Jackson.
Following these ARU Drop-In Meetings, Staff will be conducting case study interviews with other communities and researching model ARU regulations. That research and the feedback from these workshops will inform draft ARU standards that will be reviewed by the public, the Planning Commission, and the Town Council according to the following schedule:
- July 6 - Planning Commission (PC) Hearing
- July 18 - Town Council Hearing
- August 1 - Town Council First Reading
Note that this schedule is subject to change depending on feedback from the Planning Commission and Town Council. Check back in at the Town of Jackson's website for meeting agendas.
If you have questions, feel free to email Regan Kohlhardt, Associate Long-Range Planner.